The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, said this in a statement made available to journalists.
Buhari had while answering a question during his first presidential media chat on Wednesday indicated that his administration could ban the use of Hijab if Hijab-wearing female suicide bombers continued to cause havoc in the country.
But Shehu described reports that the mode of dressing had been banned as “insinuations and rumours.”
While further describing the reports as unfounded speculations, the presidential spokesman said the present administration would always respect the rights of Muslims to protect their modesty and allow religious freedom as it affects everyone.
Although he admitted that the Hijab is being abused by terrorists to carry out suicide attacks on innocent people, which he said violates the teachings of Islam, Shehu said the President would not take any decision on the issue without due consultation with the stakeholders.
“Everything will be done to balance national security requirements with the rights and obligations of citizens under their religions as protected by the constitution,” he said.
While adding that the increasing abuse of the Hijab by terrorists to perpetrate crimes is a reality, he added that the Federal Government would address the security challenge in consultations with Muslim leaders with a view to finding a workable solution.